Friday, April 15, 2011

April 15th 2011, Some Sweet Treats and a Lil Lesson in Eating Out Paleo

So, last weekend was quite an experience for me.  We were out of town wor the weekend and it was our first time eating paleo while out and about not bieng able to just go home and cook something or pre-prepare something to bring to wherever we may be going.  WOW is all I gotta say! Some of you will proboly have an easier time with this but like I've said before, I'm pretty sure I could get an award for having the pickiest kids on earth.  What one will eat, the other won't and eating out at restaurants for the weekend......Forget it! My kids know whats at restaurants(since we are all still fairly new to the paleo lifestyle we do still crave these items that are soooo not good for you).....french fries, soda, deep fried crap..ya know,.. the stuff we used to eat. Chips, salsa and sometimes they bring that yummy bread and butter right to your table as soon as you sit down.  I'm just sayin....it was quite a weekend.  I picked my battles...I won some, I lost some.  We didn't completely fall off the wagon, although there was a mac and cheese episode with the lil girls and at one point we did all have burritos but I am constantly reminding myself, " we are not Mary Poppins and we are not practically perfect in every way." 
Our weekend:
       Lunch~our first meal away from home.
At Qdobas- burritos
      Grilled chicken(we all asked for extra meat instead of rice and beans) 
      guacamole, salsa, cilantro with a side of applesauce
       Dinner~
At Black Eyed Pea- kiddos- Mac and cheese with a side of applesauce( they can't get enough applesauce)
     I had a bunless bacon cheeseburger wit sweet potato fries  
      Breakfast(day 2)~ 
Daybreak Cafe -scrambled eggs and bacon
      Lunch~
Food Court in the Mall- kiddos- Gluten free pizza
Hooters-adults- naked Parmesan and garlic wings, steamed shrimp and fried pickles(I still have no self control when it comes to fried pickles)  
All in all, not horrible but I'm glad to be home cooking my own food, and not being tempted with fries, breaded crunchiness or sugar coated, frosting covered, very short lived deliciousness (just f.y.i...I used to be a huge sucker for this stuff.  I am happy to announce....I HAVE OVERCOME THIS CRAVING...for the most part anyway:))  Obviously we cannot be home all the time, there will come a time when once again we will have to eat somewhere other than our humble paleo abode and I just keep telling myself to just do the bet I can when this time comes around again.  Because Mary Poppins is a fictional character and no one is perfect.


Since sugar coated frosting covered deliciousness came up....here are some fun yummy sweet recipes that I recently tried....
Paleo Nut Butter Cups
( I found the original recipe for this on www.paleoplan.com and tweaked it to my liking)
  Ingredients:
  • 6-8 tbsp. of coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup of carob powder or cocoa powder
  • 2 to 2 1/2 tbsp. of honey
  • almond butter
  • mini muffin tin
Start by geasing the muffin tin with some coconut or olive oil. Melt the honey and oil in a saucepan over medium heat on the stove.  Next add the carob or cocoa powder, mix well...no lumps.  Fill muffin tins about 1/3 full of the chocolate honey mixture.  Place small amount of almond butter on top of your chocolate( small layer) fill the rest of the muffin tin up with chocolate. Place in freezer until frozen.  Eat and Enjoy!
  The second batch of these that I made I added coconut to the chocolate honey mess to make more of an Almond Joy type thing.

Sweet Apple Yum( A very dear friend of mine gave me this recipe, after she paleoized it. Thanks Hootie!)   (Not sure paleoized is a word, haha)    
  •  3 Apples peeled and cored (don't go all the way through the apple, make like a bowl) 
  • 3 tbs honey
  • 3 tbs cinnamon
  •  nutmeg
    mix honey and cinnamon together
    Place apples in a shallow pan
    Fill with 1 tbs each of honey and cinamonn
    top with a dash of nutmeg.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 mins or until apple is soft.
    Enjoy :)

4 comments:

  1. yay! as you know I like to consider myself somewhat paleo :) but I am going to Chilis with my mother in law today and am making no promises! :) still building the will power! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's crazy because I just made my own version of "reeses" almond butter cups and "almond joy" cups a few weeks ago too......kinda scary! For the almond joys though I did shredded coconut, coconut oil, and honey and an almond for the filling.

    ReplyDelete